Saturday, July 05, 2008

Extra! Extra! Read All About It! Sweet Pea and So-and-So, Friends Forever!

Several weeks ago, in a posting entitled You Are Awesome, I announced that, in an effort to get to know you better, one lucky reader would receive an exclusive "Playing Chicken" interview. Unfortunately, following through with things has never been my strong suit (In fact, if I had a nickel for every project that I've started and then given up on, I'd have damn near $3.20. Now, that doesn't sound very impressive, but, in all fairness, it is actually a lot of nickels. Man, I wish I had those nickels right now). In any case, today, I am finally making good on my promise. Today, for one special person, a glorious dream comes true. Today, Jenn Marsala will ask the questions. And loyal reader and frequent commenter, the Monkey King, will answer. Hooray, today! What follows are excerpts from the first ever "Playing Chicken" interview...

Sweet Pea (aka Jenn Marsala): Thank you so much for being here today. Let's get started. For many you are just a persona, tell us a little something about the real you.

So-and-So (aka Monkey King): That is an excellent question.

Sweet Pea: Thank you.

So-and-So: No, really. You are just a fantastic interviewer!

Sweet Pea: Thank you.

So-and-So: And I really admire your stance on the whole mayonnaise issue.

Sweet Pea: That's very sweet of you. But, um, the question...

So-and-So: Of course! It's simple really. I am a carbon-based life form of the primate family. I have opposable thumbs, a good sense of humor, I don't hate walks on the beach and I think the Pina Colada song is stupid. I can be impatient and arrogant, but I'm also likely to pick up the tab for lunch. I have a Political Science degree from Gettysburg College in Gettysburg, Penn., that's also the place where my great-great-great grandfather, General Alexander Webb had a really crappy time during Pickett's Charge. I also really like pudding. And Jenn Marsala.

Sweet Pea: Wow. That's awesome. You're so interesting. Why is that, would you say?

So-and-So: Well, I was born in the Year of The Wood Snake. Snakes are uncommonly attractive, and the consummate philosopher and sage. Insight, compassion, subtlety, and discretion are the sum and substance of this 6th sign of the Eastern zodiac. You were born in the year of the horse. Did you know that? Because I did.

Sweet Pea: Weird. Okay. So, um, the year you were born, Saturday Night Fever, sparked a national disco inferno. Did you have anything to do with that?

So-and-So: Before I go into detail, remember that I was young. Very young. However the lyrics to a song I wrote as an infant were picked up by the Bee Gee's. My original was called "Being Alive." Thanks again for interviewing me. I'm feeling so close to you right now.

Sweet Pea: Yeah, actually, I'm glad you brought that up. There have been rumors of your romantic involvement with a certain celebrity that will remain nameless for the purposes of this interview. Can you either confirm or deny these accusations? Can you also fill us in on any or all of the alleged dirty details...

So-and-So: Let's just say that neither I nor [name deleted] are allowed in the produce section of [name deleted] supermarket anymore. But enough about me. Let's talk about you.

Sweet Pea: But, aren't I supposed to be asking about you?

So-and-So: C'mon!

Sweet Pea: I see your point. What do you think about me?

So-and-So: You are the coolest person I've never met. You are also hot. You are a boon to all mankind, a fighter (or at least a taunter) of injustice and the unheralded inventor of the artificial pancreas. As a side note, I'm fairly confident that your favorite color is either green or plaid.

Sweet Pea: So, what I'm hearing is, if they existed, you would purchase several "Playing Chicken with Marsala" t-shirts to give as gifts for weddings and bar mitzvahs.

So-and-So: Not only that, but I'd hand them out at wakes and bris'. I am in love with you.

Sweet Pea: Excellent.

Important Author's Note: Soon after this, I ran out of questions and just stole some from James Lipton. I've posted these in the comments section so that, in the unlikely event the Monkey King never makes it on Inside the Actor's Studio, we'll all know what his favorite curse word is. While you're in the comments section, also feel free to ask him any original questions you might have come up with. And, lastly, as requested, your nominations for the next "Playing Chicken" interview will be considered at this time...

5 Comments:

Blogger jenn marsala said...

Sweet Pea: What is your favorite word?
So-and-So: Flan
Sweet Pea: What is your least favorite word?
So-and-So: Pupa
Sweet Pea: What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
The funny, and happy. Honesty.
Sweet Pea: What turns you off?
So-and-So: The large toggle switch in my upper back.
Sweet Pea: What is your favorite curse word?
So-and-So: There is something very satisfying about "mother-fucker!" (but any hyphenated curse is pretty good).
Sweet Pea: What sound or noise do you love?
So-and-So: Distant lawnmowers and or rain storms (jeeze how "personal ad" does that sound?)Sweet Pea: What sound or noise do you hate?
So-and-So: The heavy click the cell door makes when it locks.
Sweet Pea: What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
So-and-So: Monarch
Sweet Pea: What profession would you not like to attempt?
So-and-So: Funeral Home Janitor
Sweet Pea: If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
So-and-So: Dude, that was the funniest death I ever fuckin' saw -you rock!!

11:10 PM  
Blogger Summer Ryan Doyle said...

Fantastic interview, Ms. Marsala. I have just one question for Mr. So-and-so:

If you could design your own post-it note mosaic--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ih8gates/sets/444219/ --what would it be?

8:06 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

too funny!

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have to agree with monkey king on this one here...having had poo flug at me from several monkeys, that part is not fun. well, ok, it's funny now. but it wasn't at the time.

great interview. the world's greatest ass-kiss, James Lipton, would be proud.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Thaozee said...

What's your stance on this Monkey King. If you talk about yourself in 3rd person, would you cease to be that person?

2:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home