Friday, June 13, 2008

I'm Sorry Mama...

I cleaned out my closet this weekend, and was almost killed by an errant hanger and a pair of polyester pants. Several times, in fact, I cheated death in its varying forms...asphyxiation, exhaustion, embarrassment at the realization of past, or worse still, current fashion faux pas'. Eschewing sleep, sanity and even blogging I trudged onward like a woman possessed. And as I slowly unearthed the carpet that was inevitably waiting beneath years of neglect and slovenliness, I felt a tinge of sadness and loss. The time had come to throw things away. I bid goodbye to my favorite spandex jumpsuit circa 1993. And said ado to the fishnet stockings that I always swore I'd find an occasion to wear. With blinding clarity, I finally realized that the handcrafted wooden shoes I'd once purchased were not my wisest investment.

Now, as I sit here, with the weekend's purge behind me, I try to cope with the longing for my lost treasures. The grief will subside soon enough, I'm told. I'll find new clothes to love. New excuses to go another few years without a good spring cleaning. And, of course, I'll always have the memories. But deep down I know I'll cling to the kernel of hope that someday, somewhere, someone will enjoy my green taffeta cocktail dress as much as I once did.

5 Comments:

Blogger still_figuring_out said...

hi.

came across your blog.
you have a delightful sense of humor.

at least you mustered the nerve to throw away your treasure.

i`m still holding on to mine..though i`m not quite sure if i`m holding on to them because of sentinemtal values, or...

i`m just plain lazy to do spring cleaning just yet.

12:32 AM  
Blogger ramblin' girl said...

my closet needs a good spring cleaning. found a shirt that has been hanging, unworn in there (probably in it's same dry cleaning bag) since I moved in 6 years ago. my closet has been organized a few times since, but it needs the to-the-walls-and-floor cleaning that results in lots of goodies going to goodwill or wherever.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Summer Ryan Doyle said...

NOOO!!! Not the spandex jumpsuit! I thought I could always count on that final reminder of the middle-aged wardrobes we had at fourteen.

Oh, the vests and tapered pants are gone. So too the loafers and two inch heals. Where oh where are the silk blouses and synthetic skirts? Where, Jenn, where?!

This is a sad day. You'll find me in the back of my closet, clutching a sequined velvet prom dress in cold comfort.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally - you did the wrong thing. You are an actress, my friend. Who knows when those old outdated clothes would've come in handy. They aren't out of style, they're costume pieces. Silly girl. Next time, call me, I'll take those old treasures off your hands - and get me a commercial with 'em! (Oh, and Jenn, your blog is totally becoming famous. I want 10%).

3:48 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I just did that ages ago - and got rid of 3 huge bags of clothes. Now I have plenty of room for more!

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home